There are countless ways a person may suffer injuries due to the carelessness of another, including car accidents, dog bites, slip and fall incidents, medical malpractice, and much more. Depending on the circumstances, victims experience a wide array of losses that impact various aspects of their personal and professional lives. Medical costs, lost wages, pain and suffering, permanent or temporary disability are common, and the effects on relationships with loved ones are considerable.
Fortunately, South Carolina law does allow an injured victim to obtain compensation for these losses. The lawyers at Walker Morgan will fight to protect your rights and ensure you receive the financial recovery you deserve.
Advocating for Victims in Personal Injury Cases
To prove a personal injury case and recover compensation, you must show that the responsible party breached his or her duty to exercise a reasonable degree of care, and that breach caused your injuries. You must also prove that you suffered damages as a result.
At Walker Morgan, our lawyers represent victims who suffer such personal injuries as:
- Fractures, broken bones, and contusions;
- Damage to internal organs;
- Spinal cord injuries;
- Dog bites;
- Head and traumatic brain injuries; and
- Many other types of bodily harm.
In addition, our firm’s focus is in burn cases, so our attorneys have amassed significant knowledge and experience in this area of law. We’ve been able to recover high levels of compensation for victims due to the unique nature of the injuries.
Compensation Available in an Injury Case
If you successfully prove your right to recover damages, you may receive compensation for these injuries, including:
- Your medical bills, including costs of emergency care, surgery, physical therapy, and other rehabilitation;
- Any lost wages, if you were out of work due to your injuries;
- Pain and suffering;
- Losses related to the impact on your personal relationships, including your spouse and children; and,
- Other damages based upon your unique circumstances.
Limitations on Your Right to Recover Damages
Under state law, your right to compensation may be limited by:
- The statute of Limitations: South Carolina has enacted legislation that restricts the amount of time you have to file a personal injury lawsuit. You have three years to make a claim, and the clock starts running from the date of the incident that caused your injuries.
- Medical Malpractice Statutory Cap: State law places a limit on the amount you can recover for personal injuries due to medical malpractice. Your claim against a healthcare provider cannot exceed $350,000, an amount that is subject to adjustment based upon the Consumer Price Index.
Talk to a Lexington, SC Personal Injury Lawyer Right Away
If another person’s negligence or careless actions are to blame for your injuries, it’s critical to discuss your situation with an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible. A lawyer can tell you more about your right to recover compensation and will assist with pursuing the responsible party or insurance company. At Walker Morgan, our legal team has the knowledge and dedication necessary to protect your interests in a personal injury case. Please visit our website or call our Lexington, SC office at 803-636-8790 to set up a free consultation.