You might not realize it, but your home is full of burn injury hazards. Think about it: you use heat every day to cook. You use electricity to perform household chores like laundry and washing dishes. You probably also use direct heat to curl your hair and iron your clothing.
Familiarize yourself with the fire and burn hazards in your home and how to use them safely to prevent fires. Taking minor precautions to operate them safely can protect you and your family from a tragic accident.
When an electrical outlet is overloaded, its internal components can become hot and start a fire. If you have small children in your home, cover electrical outlets with safety covers to keep them from sticking their fingers or small objects into the outlets and potentially starting a fire or suffering a severe electrical burn injury.
Other electrical fire hazards include:
- Electrical objects with faulty or worn out wiring that can transfer heat to flammable surfaces;
- Placing electric heaters too close to combustible materials; and
- Light bulbs with wattages too high for their fixtures.
Irons and Curling Irons
Objects that become extremely hot to the touch, like clothes irons and curling irons, are especially dangerous. Similar objects include hair straighteners and hot plates. Always turn these objects off when you are done using them and allow them to cool completely before putting them away. Leaving this type of object on for a prolonged period is a fire hazard, especially if it is left on a combustible surface like a wooden table. Keep these objects out of children’s reaches at all times in order to avoid scald burn and thermal burn injuries.
Large appliances, like your washer, your dryer, your dishwasher, and your refrigerator can all cause fires when their internal components become damaged. Each type of appliance has specific fire risks. These include:
- Internal components in a refrigerator shorting out and causing a fire. This can happen with an older refrigerator. Check your refrigerator’s compressor regularly and have it repaired if it shows signs of damage because this is the part that can cause a fire if it overheats;
- Clear the lint buildup in your dryer regularly to prevent fires. Lint is highly flammable and can ignite when a large collection of it is exposed to heat; and
- Like your refrigerator, your dishwasher can start a fire if its internal elements become worn out and overheated. With a dishwasher, there is the added risk of damage from internal elements regularly becoming wet and drying.
Work with an Experienced Burn Injury Attorney
Contact our team of experienced burn injury lawyers at Walker Morgan, LLC today to set up your free consultation in our office. During your consultation, we will discuss your legal rights and options for pursuing monetary compensation for the damages you suffered because of your burn. Be proactive and give us a call today; the sooner you file your claim, the better chance you will have of reaching an appropriate settlement for your case