Degrees of Burns
Walker Morgan LLC
ATTORNEYS AT LAW
Sandblaster Causes Explosion – $8.5M Settlement
Plaintiff was using a sandblaster to clean a rusted gas tank that had been removed from an old truck. While he was operating the machine, residual gas vapors in the tanks were ignited by static electricity generated by the sandblaster, resulting in a catastrophic explosion. Plaintiff suffered burns, mostly third-degree, over 60 percent of his body.
He now has scarring to the burned areas and suffers from sensitivity to light and heat. Plaintiff’s counsel was prepared to show that in testing, the sandblaster put out 8,000 volts of static electricity and that most sandblasters manufactured in the United States have a grounded hose that completely eliminates the production of static electricity and thus preventing explosions such as this one.